News from the Hospital Bed

Well, it’s been awhile. I’ve been trying to stay busy, so I haven’t sat down to write in quite some time. However, since it looks like I’m going to be restricted for the next 3 months, I guess I’ve got time to come back to the old blog. Hopefully it won’t get too boring from the couch perspective!

I finally did some research last night on preterm labor and the studies on outcomes with treatment. I suppose it’s all how you look at it, but I’m a glass half full kind of person, so I’m thinking positive. Generally the studies all say that tocolytics (the drugs used to suppress contractions and thus slow labor) are only effective for 48 hours. They’re designed to slow labor long enough for the betamethasone (corticosteroid) injections to work. The betamethasone boosts lung and brain development in preterm babies to increase their chances for survival. Then, I also got a progesterone injection, which has also been shown to extend or slow labor progression. It’s generally used for women who have had high-risk pregnancies before, and is given before labor begins to help avoid preterm labor. So, it’s really not usually used once preterm labor has begun, but it can’t hurt. They started the tocolytics (terbutaline at first, and now percardia) about 48 hours ago, and the contractions have not come back, so maybe it was enough to stop labor.

Meanwhile, Carson has been doing great this whole time. He scared them a couple of times with a decelerated heart rate for 5-8 minutes, but then he bounced right back. In fact, all the nurses are impressed with him. They tell me he acts more like a baby at 32 weeks, not one at 25 weeks. He has a very strong heart, and is very active. In fact, he’s punching me right now! Happy to have gotten a good breakfast, I suppose.

My doctor had a family emergency that sent him out of town for a few days, but he left me in very good hands. I have a high-risk prenatal physician in addition to my doctor’s partner working on my case. I’m ready to sit down with my doctor now, though, and discuss what he thinks will happen now that we’ve made it the obligatory 48 hours.

I’ve been so lucky to have had great nurses and doctors with this situation. They’ve all been open and honest about what the drugs are designed to do, and the side effects they can have on me and Carson. They’ve bent over backwards to make us comfortable, and I’m super pleased with our choice of hospitals. I’m also so very happy and lucky to have so many friends and family thinking and praying for Ryan, Carson, and me. I cannot thank everyone enough.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s